OpenAdoption.net is your one-stop online resource for Adoption Help and Assistance
Much of what people know of adoption comes from the media or our experience with adopted kids growing up. So is it any wonder that so many adoption myths still are believed as fact? Becoming educated about adoption will help you be equipped to separate adoption facts from fiction.
There are tens of thousands of families each year that adopt healthy, newborn babies through adoption. Many of them are through open adoption, where the biological mother, often called the birth mother, may have chosen the family herself. Domestic adoption is a very viable option for families who need help building their families.
Before signing on with any adoption center, it's important to know what type of birthparents they present and if it matches what you are looking for.
Factors that hopeful adoptive parents should consider when viewing potential adoption situations are:
- What age of child or baby are we looking to adopt?
- What races are we open to adopting?
- Do we have a preference on gender?
- What amount of future contact after the adoption placement are we willing to follow through on?
- Are we comfortable with our birthmother using substances before she became aware of her pregnancy?